Course objective and learning outcomes: The purpose of this course is to introduce first year journalism students to fundamental theories and concepts in the field of media studies.
- Understanding the evolution of mass media and the interplay between society, economy and media
- Understanding mass communication and early effects theories and propaganda theories
- Understanding the and being able to use concepts relating to the structure, organization and typology of media institutions
- Understanding reception theory and types of audience segmentation
- Understanding concepts and theories relating to contemporary developments in the media sector